Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Some new stuff I Read

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Friday, November 25, 2016

Some new stuff I Read

Firstly a Happy Thanksgiving to all.  I'm still stuffed, and it's a day later...but it was WORTH it!

I have been fairly remiss about blogging lately.  Just haven't been in the mood.  I did go to my beloved comic book store, and got my books, there are a whole lot fewer than I had normally been interested in, I must say.  I have dropped Blue Beetle which is killing me, because I love Jaime, and I love Ted, and I so wanted to love this book...and it's just...dull. Dull and a bit incoherent, which saddens me beyond belief.  But I imagine it will be back eventually. 

Green Lantern Corps #9

So...Hal went and blew himself up battling Sinestro, which is more or less the sort of thing that Hal would do.  But his spirit or whatever is wandering around talking to Abin Sur.  Meanwhile, Guy and John and the rest of the Corps is on Xudar fighting with the remnants of the Sinestro Corps, who bugged out with Soranik, and they are actually fighting together to save Xudar from the Starros.

Man, I haven't seen Starros in quite  a while.  Rot Lop Fan shows up and wins the day!  Woohoo!  And it was all a feint by Brainiac, and they are stuck in a bottle, which makes them a bit peevish.  And as for Hal, Sayd and Ganthet have this covered, and none other than...Kyle Raynor shows up on the last page!  Finally!  I have missed Kyle. 

This was actually...a pretty decent book, things were happening, and the story was advancing, and it was more than just posing and dragging the story out.  So...good read. 


Lucifer #12

God, or Yahweh, or whatever is back and he's really really creepy and evil and wants to end the world, but Lucifer and Mazikeen and Gabriel are fighting off their brothers, and the Basanos come back into it, along with Eileen and some other rather forgotten characters, and it's all pretty good when Lucifer confronts dear old Dad.  I always love Garbett's artwork in this, and the story is gripping and satisfying.  I do love it when a writer doesn't forget old storylines and characters, and respects those same storylines and characters.

Doctor Strange #14

I thought that was Clea on the cover but it is actually Satanna, and she has opened up her own little pocket of Hell, and wants Stephen to star in her production.  Seriously, Hell has the best...or at least the most interesting people in it, like dead rock stars and such, and she feeds him hell-bacon so that he'll be around to run a floor show or something for new arrivals. 

It's a little convoluted, but the art is insane, and so is the story, and I loved it to death.  Having Stephens little astral image...naked but with a strategically placed black bar...fight the demon bacon in his stomach is just...sensational.  I don't know what Marvel has been feeding some of its writers lately, but it is WORKING!

Hellcat #12

And speaking of working, Black Cat is up to her new nefarious deeds, with a bunch of girl vandals, including Patsy's roomate Ian's old roomie, Zoe. And is SHE a piece of work!  When they were room mates, she spent all her time bullying and being a total beeyotch, and she hasn't changed.  Plus Black Cat has kidnapped Bailey, the girl with the magic bag, and is using her to break into the Costume exhibit at the museum. 

Ian...who along with Ms. Marvel is the only GOOD thing to come out of the Terrigen mists of the Inhumans...decides enough is enough and fights along with Patsy and her cohorts...and looks just fabulous doing it. 

Too bad about Bailey though.

Wonderful as usual.

Squirrel Girl #14

And speaking of Wonderful!  As you all recall, Doreen has been on vacation in Canada with Nancy and her mother, and Scott Lang aka Ant Man has shown up and they have been infiltrated by Enigmos, who are a guy who was a wrestler, but can split into other versions, and has gone bad, and is taking over New York, and....and stuff. 

Things aren't going so well, but a single good version of Enigmo shows up and wants to help our intrepid band,and they win...through SCIENCE!  Wonderful wonderful science.  It turns out that Pym Particles really do defy the laws of nature, when you increase your size and such and they fool the Enigmos into combining and growing huge to fight Ant Man, who is also giant, and he breaks his ankle from the weight, and...and...oh God it is just great. 

I love this book SO MUCH!

The Mighty Thor#13

Well...Jane has teamed up with Roz, and some of old Thor's buddies from when they were fighting Malekith way back when, since they want to free the Queen of Alfheim, and stop all the shenanigans from Malekith.  Odin sure isn't helping and neither is the Congress. Oh, and Angela shows up too, along with a Light elf, a Troll, a dwarf, a mystic from Vanaheim and a Mountain Jotun.  It's going to be fun, since of course, Malekith and his evil posse show up at the end...including Loki. 

I assume that Loki is out for himself, as usual. It's going to be fun.

Those are some pretty darned fine books actually!

4 Comments:

At 3:51 PM, Blogger Portfolio, Stefan Mesch said...

good that you're back! I still check your blog two or three times a week, and I'm *always* interested in your opinions.

I've stopped reading the "Green Lantern" books when Geoff Johns left the main book, and I'll need some time to catch up (high hopes for "Sinestro", though, and can't wait for more Soranik. Charles Soule's "Red Lanterns", too.)

anyways: I'm sorry to hear that you're in a slump. keep up the good work!

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

Hell bacon, eh? Well, bacon can be bad for you, so it makes sense. And Hal blew himself up? Somehow I'm guessing Sinestro wasn't too surprised Hal would try something like that. Or was it an accident?

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Charles Souls's Red Lanterns was delightful, and I miss it terribly. He is a really good writer.

Bacon may be bad... but its so good! And as usual, Hal was showing off.

 
At 6:14 PM, Anonymous Jake said...

When did Green Latern first come out

 

Post a Comment

<< Home