Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Dagnabit

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Dagnabit

Well, now I am just depressed. Adam West has died at the age of 88, and I am sad. I was eight years old when Batman débuted on television... in glorious black and white, at least on OUR TV, and I was enthralled. My father thought it was hilarious, my mother thought it was ridiculous. I thought it was just fabulous... and I have never changed my opinion.

Although it did establish the tradition of using "Biff"..." Bam"..."Pow" whenever the media feels the need to comment on comic-related news, which does have a way of getting old, but still. It was a silly show, but it was MY silly show! Adam West WAS Batman, and Ward was Robin, and by god, Julie Newmar was Catwoman. Frank Gorshin is still the best Riddler too.

And oh... the guest star villains... all so campy and really it was a forerunner of the Simpsons, as it was a coup to be the villain of the week for a LOT of pretty famous actors and actresses.  King Tut the Bookworm, Marsha, Queen of Diamonds... the list goes on and on.

Adam West was a fine actor... to be able to play such utter foolishness completely straight is not an easy task. And so I will miss him.

4 Comments:

At 1:42 PM, Blogger Erin S. said...

It was always be an entertaining show that's especially welcomed after all the grim Batman portrayals we get. Adam West always seemed to have fun with the role. I've been meaning to get the animated Batman 66 movie and this seems like a good time.

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

I am so tired of grim and gritty. The Brave and the Bold Batman was an absolute hoot.

 
At 7:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That animated movie is a little strange. Grim n' goofy I guess. Hearing the old man West voice and old lady Newmar voice in these firm cartoon bodies is disconcerting but funny in a way.

On a tangent, I really liked Wonder Woman the movie and despair that she had to be part of the Zachverse. A West style Batman would be welcome in the Wonder-verse instead of the Oedipal-Batfleck and the awful dark Superman.

Oh..and "Riddler" not Fiddler..wink, wink.

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Oops. I always swear I am going to actually edit what I write, and am in too big of a hurry to hit "post". I will fix it!

But yes, the current movie Superman and Batman are pretty dreary.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home